Saturday, August 26, 2006

0826 A whale

Don't get excited so soon by seeing my title here. Yes, there is a whale and I went out today for it. This whale is the same one that I saw float in front of the cruise with Becky two weeks aga. And, yes, you can imagin what it looks like after two weeks. Anyway, I went out happily, though it rains heavily today. Sylvia and Sumi are from Fairbanks and came here to collect the bones of whale. I'm the only volunteer today. Maybe it was because the weather was so bad. Matt was our water taxi driver. It was not a pleasant job working with a decaying whale. We were trying to cut its meat and left the bones. Ha, feel like I am an Eskimo that cuting a whale. As you know, it was smelt. Its meat was also starting melt. I tried to get some fresh air and worked. Sumi did a very good job, just like a professional. I tried hard but can only cut small peicese and we needed to keep on sharping our knief. Whale has a very thick skin which is very hard to cut through. Another thing that bothers us was a black keeps showing up. He knows here is food. He got braver and braver, came closer and closer. We tried to scare him away, but it was no use. We backed up, stayed in a distance for a while. I didn't get any pictures because my bag and my camera were not very far from bear. I didn't go grab them. A little bit scary, but I saw a bear in such a short distance! we went back to whale worked on it for a while and the bear came up again. We were lucy to have some kayakers with us and after that, our water taxi came. About 4:30 we went back. They wanted to finish the cutting and bring back the bone today, but seems like there are still lots work need to do. They may stay two more days here.
Yes, a little bit disgusting, but stand a whale and cut it is not kind of the thing that you can have it everyday.
They needs helps. I know that and I would like to help for tomorrow. But I also have lots of works to do on my maps. I want to finsh it before I leave. I don't know what should I do tomorrow. Always gets ready, you never know when so many things come out and needed to be done.
In the evening, sky cleared up. This was the last time I have camp fire here. So good to sit beside the fire and talk. Nice and warm. I also played some games with kids. They gave me a earthworm flavor Jelly bean @@

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home